Teaching > Arch
430 Special Topics > Assignments
Kunstler, James Howard. The Long Emergency: Surviving the
End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes
of the Twenty-First Century, Grove Press, 2006. View on Amazon.
On 7 December 2005, Jim addressed The Long Emergency and the
End of Suburbia as part of the School of Architecture, Art
& Historic Preservation Fall Lecture Series, Roger WIlliams
University. Introduction by Philip Marshall.
- Read The Long Emergency. Write a paper of indeterminate length.
- Select three (3) separate themes/issues presented
by Kunstler. Carefully choose and cite at least nine (9) contemporary
articles that relate to these issues (at least thee for each theme/issue)
- Draw from dailies (New York Times, Wall Street Journal,
etc.), weeklies (The Economist, etc.), periodic journals,
including peer-reviewed publications.
- Broadly consider how you, personally and professionally, will
address the concerns articulated by Kustler.
- If you do not agree
with Kunstler's thesis (or specific themes/issues), state your case and cite material to support your position.
- Use whatever citation format you are familiar (MLS, Turabian, etc.). Be consistent throughout your paper.
- Broecker, Wallace S. and Robert Kunzig. Fixing Climate: What Past Climate Changes Reveal About the Current Threat--and How to Counter It. Hill and Wang, 2008. (Paperback in 2009). Amazon.
- Brown, Lester R. Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization. W. W. Norton, Third Edition, 2008. Amazon.
- Friedman, L. Thomas. Hot, Flat and Crowded: Why We N(eed a Green Revolution—and How It Can Renew America. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2008. Amazon.
- Gore, Al. An Inconvenient Truth: The Crisis of Global Warming. Viking Juvenile, 2007. Amazon.
- Hartmann, Tham, Joseph Chilton Pearce, and Neale Donald Walsch. The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: The Fate of the World and What We Can Do Before It's Too Late. Three Rivers Press, 2004. Amazon.
- Kagan, Robert. The Return of History and the End of Dreams. Knopf, 2008. Amazon.
- Kerry, John and Teresa Heinz Kerry This Moment on Earth: Today's New Environmentalists and Their Vision for the Future. Public Affairs, 2007. Amazon.
- Krupp, Fred. Earth: The Sequel: The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming. W. W. Norton, 2008. Amazon.
- Lynas, Mark. Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet. National Geographic, 2008. Amazon.
- McDonough, Wiliam. Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things. North Point Press, 2002. Amazon.
- McKibben, Bill. Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future. Holt Paperbacks, 2008. Amazon.
- Sachs, Jeffrey. Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded Planet. The Penguin Press, 2008. Amazon.
- The Worldwatch Institute. State of the World 2008: Toward a Sustainable Global Economy. W. W. Norton, 2008. Amazon.