Teaching > Preservation
|Vieux Carré, New Orleans, Louisiana
Historic Districts, Volunteer Historic Districts, Conservation
- Historic district (United States), Wikipedia
- Cassity, Pratt. Planning and the Local Preservation Review Commission.
CRM No. 7, pp.21-22, 2000. [PDF file.]
- Reap, James K. and Melvin B. Hill, Jr., Law and the Historic Preservation Commission: Waht Every Member Needs to Know. Cultural Resources Partnership Notes, NPS, 2007 [PDF file.]
- Flow Chart for Establishing a Local Historic District,
Massachusetts Historical Commission, 03/22/01. [PDF
- Flow of Power
- Tenth Amendment, Wikipedia with power delegated to the states
- Enabling legislation (act), Wikipedia, delegates power to local communities. In RI rules are made in advance and specific, and to remain in effect for entire undertaking.
- Legality of zoning
- Ordinance/Warrant: based on state enabling legislation; district (as map); power (regulate); commission member (number, qualifications, appointment by council)
- Standards: Secretary of Interior Standards, others. Under HDC standards, precedents do not have standing given varying nature of each case.
- Guidelines, provide multiple paths to possible solutions
- Process for application
- Typically for exterior (or that part in 'public view')
- HDC application for a certificate of appropriateness (CofA)
- Staff approval
- Full commission approval
- Building permit (if change is covered),
- Findings of fact: documents significance, and condition—based on site visit; making sure not to break quorum (WIkipedia) rules.
- Public hearing (Wikipedia)
- Appeal (in RI
- local zoning board (do not hear de novo, WIkipedia) to overturn, remand or uphold
- Superior Court
- State Supreme Court
- US Supreme Court
- Reap, James K., Historic Preservation and Local Government, Context: Journal of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation, v.92, November 2005, pp. 25-28.
- Local Historical Commissions, Summary Sheet for New Commission
Members, Massachusetts Historical Commission, 03/22/01. [Download
as PDF file.]
on the Past in Local Historic Districts, National Park Service.
- Issue Paper: Conservation Districts, Cultural Resource
Partnership Notes, Heritage Preservation Services, National Center
for Cultural Resource Stewardship and Partnerships, National Park
Service, 16 pp., June 1998. [Download PDF file
Notes. Print pp. 1-15.]
Preservation Design Guidelines, National Alliance of Preservation
Commissions (NAPC), Owens Library, University of Georgia.