Teaching > Preservation
|Scenario Plannning Lecture for HP 202
|Bicentennial house, Williamstown, Massachusetts.
Planning, Scenario Planning
- Covey R. Stephen. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective
People. New York: Fireside, 1990. The Seven Habits —
An Overview, Read pp.46-62. Amazon, Google Books (some pages missing here). In PDF file provided, pp. 22-30.
- Easterly,William Russell. The White Man's Burden: Why the West's efforts to aid the rest have done so much ill and so little good. Penguin Group, 2006. Google Books, Amazon. Skim pp. 3-30, handout
- "The right plan is to have no plan . . . Let's call the advocates of the traditional approach the Planners, while we call the agents for change in the alternative approach the Searchers. . . In foreign aid, Planners announce good intentions but don't motivate anyone to carry them out; Searchers find things that work and get some reward. Planners raise expectations but take no responsibility for meeting them; Searchers accept responsibility for their actions." (pp.5-6)
- Schwartz, Peter and Jay Ogilvy. Plotting Your Scenarios:
An Introduction to the Art and Process of Scenario Planning,
Scenario Thinking, Global Business Network, December 2004
- Scenarios are narratives of alternative environments in which today’s decisions may be played out. They are not predictions. Nor are they strategies. Instead they are more like hypotheses of different futures specifically designed to highlight the risks and opportunities involved in specific strategic issues.
- Wilkinson, Lawrence. How
to Build Scenarios, Wired Magazine
- Hopkins, Lewis D. and Marisa A. Zapata, editors. Engaging the Future: Forecasts, Scenarios, Plans, and Projects. Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Cambridge, MA, 2007. Summary, description of contents
- Definition, Scenario Building, Online Foresight Guide, JRC European Commission
- van der Heijden. Kees. Scenarios, Strategy and the Strategy
Process. Global Business Network, August 1997 [PDF file]
- Fahey, Liam and Robert M. Randall, editors. Learning from
the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios. Jossey-Bass,
- Ogilvy, James A. Creating Better Futures: Scenario Planning
As a Tool for A Better Tomorrow. Oxord University Press, 2002. Amazon, Google Books
- Future Scenarios: Mapping the cultural Implications of peak oil and climate change Read sections, below, to consider how they work as part of the scenario-planning process. "FutureScenarios.org presents an integrated approach to understanding the potential interaction between Climate Change and Peak Oil using a scenario planning model. In the process I introduce permaculture as a design system specifically evolved over the last 30 years to creatively respond to futures that involve progressively less and less available energy." David Holmgren, co-originator of the permaculture concept. May 2008 Google Books
- Mitchell, Ted.
In Defence of Generalists, Raise the Hammer, Dec 14, 2004. Read
- Duerksen, Christopher J., C. Gregory Dale and Donald L. Elliott. The Citizens Guide to Planning.
Washington, DC: The Planners Press, fourth edition, 2009. Chapter 1, Why Plan?, p.3-15. Read