Teaching > HP175 Documentation > Assignments >
Written: Based on HABS Survey
- To write an architectural description in the style of National Register 'description'—but based on the graphic (drawings) and photographic documentation of a HABS level-1 survey of a property.
- To determine the different information available from drawings: floor plans, elevations, sections, details.
- To understand the level of identification obtained from 'title blocks' and 'photograph captions'
- Notes for written description: exterior assignment
- Notes for NR outline (general)
- Written: National Register 'description' - outline assignment
- Peruse the HABS/HAER/HALS database, Built in America, American Memory, Library of Congress.
- Find a (relatively simple) building recorded to HABS level-1 that includes
- a full set of architectural drawings (interior and exterior; plans, elevations, sections and details) and
- a 'data pages may also exist
- To relate to HP 160-530 American Buildings course (if you are taking), consider a building that is on of the following styles:
- Greek Revival
- Do not choose a building that has been nominated to the National Register as an individual property. . .or do not look at the nomination, if one exists!
- 'larger reference images' JPGs (of the photographs) and TIFFs (of the drawings) for reference in writing your 'description;
- smaller JPGs (of drawings) and GIFs (of drawings) for inclusion as an appendix to your description, which you will email to me.
In some cases an architectural description is available as 'data' pages. Importanly, this is not the format that is needed for this assignment. Only use the information in the 'data' pages with extreme care. In particular, information on the evolution of the property is not part of this assignment — you are only writing an architectural description that will be written in the format of a National Register 'description', part 7.
Write a four-page (approximate) architectural description including the exterior and interior.
In the description, parenthetically reference any drawings and photographs from HABS. For example:
- (HABS Drawing, West Elevation, sheet 3)
- (HABS Photograph, Front and Side Elevations, 15-1)
For HABS documentaion , include full citation in 'Works Cited' at the end. As an example:
For drawings, obtain information from the 'title block' and name of the sheet (under the drawing). For example:
- Linden Place (Dewolf House), 500 Hope Street, Bristol, Bristol County, Rhode Island. Historic American Building Survey, National Park Service, HABS Survey No. RI-263. Historic Preservation Group Project, Roger Williams College. Drawn by Jerome J. Harcar. n.d. [no date]. West Elevation, sheet 3 of 12.
For photographs, obtain information from the 'caption' associated with each photograph on the Web site. (Remove the CAPS — capitalized letters in the description — from the title.) Obtain the photographer name(s) and date from the 'Photo Caption Pages' For example:
- Linden Place (Dewolf House), 500 Hope Street, Bristol, Bristol County, Rhode Island. Historic American Building Survey, National Park Service, HABS Survey No. RI-263. 1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Arthur W. Leboeuf, Photographer, 1937 Front and Side Elevations, 15-1, Laura Barbeau and Julian Sniderman, photographer.