Teaching > HP175 Documentation > Hope Street Survey Descriptions
Hope Street 125
A. Sidney Herreshoff House and Model Room
Built by A. Sidney Herreshoff, son of Nathanael G. Herreshoff, Bristol's
famous naval architect, this contemporary house has two hip-roof
units linked by a 1-story connector. The north unit is a dwelling
and the south unit a model room used by Nat Herreshoff.
Hope Street 132
John Gladding House
This 2-1/2-story, 5-bay Federal house was built for John Gladding,
a miller. The Gladding windmill stood on the opposite side of the
street. Exterior detailing includes a Greek Revival entrance, added
c. 1840, with a heavy entablature and narrow sidelights; the original
chimney has been altered and a new end chimney added on the northwest.
Original heavy frames have been removed, although splayed lintels
remain. John Gladding, Jr., who inherited the house, was a sea captain.
Hope Street 136
Seven Oaks/Augustus O. Bourn House
The second house in Bristol designed by New York architect James
Renwick, Seven Oaks was built for the founder of the National Rubber
Company. The design of this large, hip-and-cross-gable-roof Gothic
Revival mansion includes twin turrets and iron roof cresting, and
a large porte-cochere on the north with clustered, square columns
and a roof balustrade. The stone walls of this picturesque building
are soft gray. After Bourn was elected Governor in 1883, Seven Oaks
became the site of many social and political gatherings. Although
Governor Bourn lost control of the National Rubber Company in the
1890s, he rebuilt his business in Providence, and continued to live
at Seven Oaks until his death in 1925. From 1937 to 1945, the house
was owned by Harold Paull, a stockbroker. Seven Oaks is slated for
development as condominiums. An original landscape design for the
site showing many details of late Victorian gardens and outbuildings
is in the library of the Bristol Historical and Preservation Society.
Hope Street 140
Herreshoff Manufacturing Company Guest House
This 2-1/2-story, 3-bay Second Empire house was built by the Herreshoff
Company to accommodate guests and clients. Detailing includes paired
brackets under all cornices and tall French doors opening onto a
bracketed full-width porch overlooking Bristol Harbor.
A simple marble stone with gilded letters, carved by the John Stevens
Shop of Newport, it faces the site of the former North and South
Construction Sheds. the monument reads:
The Herreshoff Manufacturing Company was started here in 1863 by
John B. Herreshoff with his brother Nathanael G. Herreshoff as designer.
The company designed and built many famous vessels including Sea
Going Torpedo Boat No. 1, U.S.S. Cushing 1890 and the America's
Cup Defenders Vigilant 1893, Defender 1895, Columbia 1899, Reliance
1903, Resolute 1914 and built Defenders Enterprise 1930, Rainbow
1934. Herreshoff inventive design of hulls, sails, engines, and
devices was an enduring contribution to yachting.
Hope Street 142
Lemuel Clark Richmond-Herreshoff House
c. 1800, 1870, 1926
Parson Wight recorded that Richmond (1797-1852) repaired his house
on Hope Street in 1806. This 2-1/2-story, 5-bay, gable-roof Federal
house was begun about 1800. Richmond was a wealthy whaler who owned
nearly twenty ships, including the Empress, a Bristol-built bark.
In 1854 the house was sold to William H.S. Bayley, publisher of
the Bristol Phoenix. In 1856 it was rented to Charles and Julia
Herreshoff, who moved here with nine children from their farm on
Poppasquash. Rachel Bayles sold it to Julia Herreshoff in 1863.
The house was moved back from the street and extensive rear additions
made between 1870 and 1880. A nearby cottage was raised and attached
to the large shed-roof kitchen ell to create additional space. In
1893 Lewis Herreshoff and Sally (Herreshoff) Brown owned the homestead.
Lewis died in 1926 and left the house to his nephew Norman F. Herreshoff.
A collector of Americana, Norman Herreshoff completed a series of
renovations, including remodeling of the kitchen to be "old-fashioned"
and replacement of the front porch with a small Ionic portico. Now
a private museum, this house is open by appointment.
Hope Street 208
James Lawless House
c. 1865, 1900
this 1-1/2-and 2-story, 5-bay Greek Revival/Italianate house, with
gable roof broken by a large intersecting gable on the facade, was
built by Lawless, sea captain and naval architect, to live in while
he enlarged another house. By the turn of the century, the large
ell, with a half-hip roof, and circular porch with jigsaw brackets,
Hope Street 212
Abbie M. Young House
This 2-1/2-story Queen Anne house, with a sweeping roof broken by
a 3-story octagonal tower on the main facade, was built for the
wife of J.H. Young, who owned a pharmacy formerly at 481-483 Hope
Street. This house is a near mirror image of 33 Central Street and
may be the work of builder Dennis Doran.
Miramar/ The Tides
Set on Bristol Harbor, this large, 2-1/2-story, hip-roof summer
cottage with cross-gambrel-roof was designed by E.I. Nickerson for
State Senator Joshua Wilbour, a banker. The dramatic Hope Street
facade is ornamented with wraparound porches, a large porte-cochere
with Ionic columns, pilasters, an overscale lunette in the attic,
quoins, and a modillion cornice. The 1938 hurricane destroyed the
roof balustrade and large urn-topped fence posts. From 1900 to 1936,
Miramar was owned by Isabella DeWolf. In the early 1970s, it was
remodeled into apartments, and in 1986 was converted to condominiums.
Hope Street 221
Barnes House/ Wyndstowe
c. 1899, c. 1950s
In 1899 Isoline and Hattie Barnes built this large Queen Anne summer
house, designed by Wallis E. Howe. The house, a 2-1/2-story structure
with a complex cross-gable roof and an offset hip-roof wing, has
been compromised by the addition of a modern wing on the north side.
Varied surface materials, typical of this style, include brick with
burnt ends set in Flemish bond on the first floor and weathered
shingles, with every fifth row doubled, on the upper floors. Detailing
includes paired Doric columns setting off the main entrance and
triple Doric pilasters on the corners. This house was willed to
Wallis E. Howe in 1935; in the 1960s it was owned by his son George
Howe, author of Mount Hope (1959).
Hope Street 224
Timothy French House
French, carpenter-builder of many of Bristol's early 19th century
dwellings built his own house in brick. This small, 2-1/2-story,
5-bay house with end chimneys is a fine example of Federal architecture.
The front cornice has dentils, run moldings, and modillions that
are similar to but of a larger scale than those of the main entrance.
Following an Ashlar Benjamin pattern, the entrance enframement is
composed of fluted pilasters on low bases which support a pediment
containing a semi-circular fanlight.
Hope Street 232
Frederick A. Easterbrooks House
This typical 2-1/2-story bracketed house, with a 2-bay facade and
bay windows, has an elaborate 2-story porch on the south side. The
porch was originally only one story in height. The balustraded entrance
hood, with a pair of ornate brackets and pendants, is particularly
fine. Easterbrooks joined with E.M. Wardwell in 1872 to sell groceries,
domestic wares, and confections at 467-71 Hope Street.
Hope Street 248
Jeremiah Diman House
Diman, a cooper, started this 2-story, 3-bay, hip-roof house in
1794. The house displays both Colonial and Federal design elements.
The original core is built around a large chimney on a 4-room floor
plan (similar to 1030 Hope Street); exterior details include heavy
pegged window casings with splayed lintels; a flat-head entrance,
with small modillions and run moldings repeated in the roof cornice;
cornerboards; and quoins. A rear kitchen ell leads to a large contemporary
addition and an enclosed garden.
Hope Street 249
Edward Wainwright Brunsen House
Brunsen, a sugar manufacturer, built this Italianate dwelling four
years after his marriage to Mary Jane Pitman of Bristol. The main
block of this 2-1/2-story house has a high hip roof with an elaborate
cornice and balustrade. The 2-story north wing, with Colonial Revival
detailing, was added by Dr. Frederick Williams for an office and
servants quarters in 1910. Front and rear porches date from this
remodeling. Of note are the original folding outer doors in the
entry, paneled doors, etched-glass transoms, and rope moldings.
Both the house and its stable have been converted to condominiums.
John Liscomb-Isaac Camm House
1787, c. 1830, c. 1910
The west section of this house, a 2-1/2-story, 3-bay end-gable-roof
Greek Revival design was built in the mid 19th century. The middle
section dates from 1787, and a large rear ell and porch date from
the early 1900s. The main entrance is a Greek Revival flat-head
design with an overscale fret applied to the frieze and double pilaster
on each side of an unusual 7-panel door. Camm (1823-1898), who emigrated
to Bristol from England, was a master of the Usher brothers
ship during the 1860s, and acquired this house in 1865.
Joseph Coit House
Isaac Borden, Bristols noted builder, constructed this house
for Coit, a ship builder. Noted for its semi-circular entrance fanlight
with a central molded key block, almost identical to Isaac Bordens
own house at 159 High Street, this 2-1/2-story, 5-bay dwelling is
a typical Bristol Federal house. Minor additions include the 1-story
and 2-story rear ells, a small side porch and a rear dormer. Heavily
damaged by fire in 1975, the house has been restored with assistance
from the Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission.
Samuel P. Colt built this apartment house for employees of his U.S.
Rubber Company. The Colonial Revival design was produced by Wallis
E. Howe. A 2-story, tetrastyle Ionic portico is topped by a modillion-trimmed
pediment. Details include a Chinese Chippendale balustrade on the
second floor balcony, an applied fan design with scrolled ends flanking
a single attic window, and triglyphs in the window lintels
John W. Munro House/ Linden Place Barn
c. 1810, c. 1866
In 1866 Samuel Colt gave the barn that stood on the site of Linden
Places stable to Munro, a sutler, who moved it, raised the
roof, and added the rear ell. Now a 2-story, 4-bay, gable-roof residence,
it displays a handsome bracketed entrance hood. Munro operated a
hardware and wallpaper store in the Mount Hope Block on Hope Street.
Susan Gorham Cottage
c. 1855, 1867
One of Bristols few Gothic Revival buildings, this small,
3-bay, end-gable-roof cottage has retained most of its fanciful
detailing. Decorative bargeboard trims the steep main gable and
are repeated on the gable entrance. A small rear addition was added
by Mrs. Gorham in 1867. Twentieth-century additions include the
side porch and second story of the rear ell.
Pricilla Talbee Lindsey House
In 1787 Edward Talbee gave his daughter Priscilla, the wife of Samuel
Lindsey, this lot. A small end-gambrel-roof cottage was built by
Lindsey, a housewright, by 1789. Its heavy, projecting windows with
flat, beaded casings and early sash, including double-hung 12-over-12,
18-over-18, and 12-over-8 units, are typical of late 18th century
Parson Wight recorded that Jacob Babbitt and Barnard Smith, merchants,
built a house, both in one, on Hope Street in 1795.
In 1810 Captain Daniel Morice, French refugee from Haiti, purchased
the house. This beautiful, 5-bay Federal house with an unusual gable-on-hip
roof, has an elaborate facade incorporating a pedimented Ionic entrance,
a Greek fret and modillion cornice, and a large lunette window in
the front gable. By the end of the 19th century, a large 2-story
ell had been added on the east side.
John Howe House/ House with the Eagles
John Howe began building this house after his marriage in 1807 to
Louisa Smith. It is a 2-story, 5-bay, nearly square Federal house,
noted for its Chinese Chippendale roof balustrade. A grandson of
Mark Antony DeWolf, John Howe graduated from Brown University and
was admitted to the bar in 1808. He served in the General Assembly
from 1823 to 1842 and in 1844 was appointed Collector of Customs
for the Bristol and Warren district. In 1822 Benjamin Churchill,
captain of the famous Yankee, bought this house. Four American eagles,
traditionally believed to have been carved by the Yankees
sailors, trim the corners, giving the house its name. In 1825 Byron
Diman, Governor of Rhode Island in 1846 and 1847, acquired the property
and lived here, enlarging the house 3 times. Diman, a protege of
James DeWolf, was active in whaling, the West Indies trade, and
cotton manufacturing. Diman served as a treasurer, then president
of the Bristol Steam Mill, was a director of Pokanoket Mill, and
was cashier of the Mount Hope Bank, then president of the Bank of
Bristol. Today, this house is owned by a descendent of John Howe.
Royal Diman House
c. 1792, c. 1937
Royal Diman, a cooper and trader, built this 2-1/2-story, 4-bay
Federal house with a 4-room floor plan. Detailing includes a fine
pedimented entrance with fluted Ionic pilasters, similar to 736
Hope Street. Marian Pekham Paull installed elaborate Federal woodwork
from several Thames Street houses after 1937.
William Fales House
1797, moved c. 1879
Originally this 2-story, hip-roof, 3-bay Federal house, built for
a successful West Indies merchant, stood on the adjoining lot at
the corner of Hope and Church Streets. By 1876 William H. Bell owned
this property, and he moved the house on lot south to use the corner
lot for his new furniture store, completed in 1879. The ell and
the bracketed porch date from this period.
William H. Bell Block
One of Bristols few late 19th century commercial structures,
this handsome 2-1/2-story, mansard-roof 7-bay building was built
to take full advantage of a busy corner. Greens The Providence
Plantations (1886) described it as one of the largest and
best stocked furniture stores in the state, outside Providence.
Constructed of brick with granite trim, the building retains its
original cast iron storefront with flat pilasters at the corners
and sides of the door, and Ionic pilasters separating window bays.
The upper floor has been used for Masonic meetings since 1879.
David Leonard House
The first house on this corner was built c. 1690 for James Burroughs
and sold in 1748 to Simeon Potter; it burned in the British raid
of 1778. In 1807 David Leonard, postmaster and editor of Bristols
first newspaper, the Mount Hope Eagle, bought the lot and built
this handsome 2-1/2-story, 5-bay Federal house. Merchant John Wardwell
acquired the property in 1817; he sold it in 1833 to Captain Isaac
Bly of New Bedford. During the 1840s, owners included Gardner Willard
and Joseph L. Gardner, partners in a saw and grist mill on Thames
Street. The Bristol Phoenix noted in 1843 that Mrs. Browning kept
a fashionable boarding house here. By 1864 Captain Augustus N. Miller
acquired the property and probably was responsible for the Victorian
additions, including a mansard roof and porch. In 1943 it was converted
St. Michaels Episcopal Church
This parish was established as one of the four original mission
churches in Rhode Island by the Society for the Propagation of the
Gospel in Foreign Parts. The first church (1720) was burned during
a British raid in 1778. It was replaced in 1785 by a plain wooden
meetinghouse. In 1833 it was replaced by a Gothic church which burned
in 1858. Architects Saeltzer & Valk of New York City and George
Ricker of Newark, designed the present brownstone Gothic Revival
church. The nave, covered by a slate gabled roof, has a clerestory
rising above the shed-roofed aisles. The western apse has a semi-octagonal
conical roof. The facade is dominated by a 3-level square tower.
A clock was installed in 1871. The original steeple was replaced
in 1891. Four pinnacles, originally on the second level, now accent
the square top of the third, executed in a different stone pattern.
There is a large Gothic-arched entrance with a stained glass transom.
An original iron fence encloses the property along Hope and Church
Streets. Modern alterations include a classroom wing joining the
church to 399 Hope Street on the north.
Parish House/Chapel, St. Michaels Parish
Architect Stephen C. Earle designed this Gothic Revival 1-story
structure with a hip-roof tower, surmounted by a steeper hip-roofed
belfry, on the northwest corner. Earle combined Massachusetts brownstone
with read mortar joints. The offset entrance porch has a large Gothic
arch, matched-board doors, and a leaded, colored glass transom.
Gothic window surrounds, used singly in the tower and in compound
and triple units on the main part, replicate those forms on St.
Michaels Church. A description of the flexible interior, subdivided
with sliding, glazed screens, a forerunner of modern open-plan school
design, appears in Munros History of the Town of Bristol (1881).
In 1961 a bell tower of red brick was built in the front yard by
Anna C. Gross as a memorial to her parents. Its bells are from Trinity
John Willard Russell House/ St. Michaels Episcopal Church
This is one of Bristols many 2-1/2-story, 5-bay Federal houses,
with two interior chimneys and a central-hall, 4-room floor plan.
Russell (1770-1814) is noted for a series of letters to his wife
written while he was at sea, compiled in the book The Romance of
an Old -Time Shipmaster, containing a detailed account of a slave
voyage and comments on life in Bristol. Russells wife died
in 1811, and that same year he moved into his new house with his
four children. After his death, the property was sold to Dr. Jabez
Holmes. His decendants left the house to St. Michaels Church
Burnside Memorial Hall
Stephen C. Earle of Worcester, Massachusetts, architect for the
Rogers Free Library (1847) and St. Michaels Chapel (1876),
designed this elaborate, polychromed, 2-story Richardsonian Romesque
public building. The main mass has a slate, cross-gable roof and
a large 2-story, projecting hip-roof tower on the Hope Street elevation
with an arcaded porch in its base. The main entrance, topped by
a colored-glass fanlight, is recessed in a semi-circular arch. Colored
glass is used extensively in lunettes on the second floor and in
the tower. President Chester A. Arthur and Governor Augustus O.
Bourn of Bristol dedicated the hall to the memory of General Ambrose
E. Burnside (1824-1881), whose statue was intended to be the focus
of the porch. In 1969 the majority of town offices were relocated
to the adjacent town garage. This hall is a key architectural and
historical element in the Hope Street commercial and institutional
James and Josephus Gooding House
Built for James Gooding and his brother Josephus, this 2-1/2-story,
6-bay Federal dwelling was later converted to a double house. The
southern section contains the original front door and stairway.
Exterior detailing includes a cornice with modillions, Greek key
and swag motifs, and elaborate Corinthian corner pilasters with
small angels in the capitals. The Goodings operated a jewelry store
on the site of the Easterbrooks Block.
John W. Bourn House
Bourn, a wealthy shipmaster whos firm, Bourn & Marshall,
owned 42 vessels, built this fine brick house. A 2-story, 5-bay
Federal house with end chimneys, it has a facade elaborated by a
slightly projecting, pedimented central entrance pavilion. At the
second level of this bay is one of Bristols few Palladian
windows. In the late 1970s, sandblasting caused severe damage to
the surface of th brick.
Belvedere Hotel/Harriet Bradford Hotel
John Brown Herreshoff, president of the Herreshoff Manufacturing
Company, built this 4-story, nearly square, 100-room brick hotel
to accommodate his business visitors. A glass-walled roof garden
with a pyramidal roof (now removed) looked over Bristol Harbor.
The Barnes House was moved to 16 John Street to permit construction
of the hotel.
Old Post Office and Customs House
Ammi B. Young, Supervising Architect of the U.S. treasury from 1853
to 1862, designed this 2-story, 3-bay, Renaissance Revival structure.
Constructed of red brick with a corbelled cornice and greyish sandstone
moldings and granite trim, the building originally had a cast-iron
balustrade on the concave-hipped roof; the balustrade, paneled chimneys,
and dormers have been removed. The west facade contains a slightly
projecting bay with a delicate iron balcony and three arched openings
on each level. The north arch served as an entry to the customs
offices on the second floor. The building has interior granite and
cast-iron piers, brick arched vaulting, and cast-iron staircases.
Of note are the square, cast-iron Corinthian columns on the first
floor. In 1962 the post office moved, and in 1964, the adjacent
YMCA bought this building. A modern swimming pool wing was added
to the east. In the 1980s the arched doors were sealed, original
double-hung 12-over-8 arched sash boarded over, and interior changes
John DeWolf House
1789, 1799-1801, moved 1915
DeWolf (1760-1841) began this 2-1/2-story, 5-bay Federal house with
paired chimneys as his town house about the same time he began development
of his farmhouse at 70 Griswold Avenue. Benjamin Norris, carpenter-builder,
finished the interior of the northeast parlor in 1799 and the southeast
chamber in 1801. DeWolf, ninth child of Mark Antony and Abigail
Potter DeWolf, was a ship captain. In 1788 he left the sea and became
a farmer. He served in the state legislature in 1808 and on the
Supreme Court from 1819 to 1822. His granddaughter Eliza, wife of
Robert Shaw Andrews, Superintendent of Schools, acquired the house
in 1868 and it remained in the DeWolf family until1932. About 1915
it was moved back 15 from the street line and renovated; a Colonial
Revival portico replaced the original entrance, a 3-bay porch was
added to the north side, and the interior was remodeled.
This handsome, 2-story, 5-bay, flat-roof brick store was built by
Joseph L. Buffum for Frederick A. Easterbrooks, a grocer and merchant.
Fire had destroyed Easterbrooks grocerty in the original building,
which also housed the Gooding Clock Shop and other stores. An original,
cast-iron columned storefront survives on the first floor.
Hersey Bradford-Norris House
1792, moved 1845
Bradford (1729-1808), who would become Deputy Governor of Rhode
Island from 1775 to 1778, came to Bristol to practice medicine by
1758. His first house was burned in the British raid of 1778. Bradford
replaced it with this simple, 2-1/2-story Federal house which he
left to his son Hersey, owner of a ropewalk on Wood Street. By the
mid-1840s, Hersey Bradford mortgaged the house to Francis Dimond.
His daughter Isabella married Samuel Norris, a sugar refiner. The
Norris family hired Russell Warren to renovate the house in the
spring of 1845; it was probably at this time that the house was
moved back from Hope Street and the third floor, the Ionic porch,
the north wing, and the Chinese Chippendale-type balustrades were
added. This house, one of Bristols best known landmarks, remained
in the Norris family until 1942.
Linden Place/George DeWolf House
1810, et seq
Merchant George DeWolf (1779-1844) hired Russell Warren to design
this 3-story, 5-bay, monitor-on-hip roof Federal house, the most
elaborate in Bristol. A 2-story, tetrastyle Corinthian portico,
surmounted by a balcony, rises to a Chippendale-type balustrade.
The entrance design incorporates two delicate, superimposed elliptical
fanlights framed by smaller, engaged Corinthian columns. In 1825
DeWolf went bankrupt and fled Bristol. Three years later, during
the ensuing depression, James DeWolf, Georges uncle, purchased
the house. In 1834 it passed to his son William DeWolf, who commissioned
Russell Warren to add the Gothic sunroom on the south and the ballroom
wing on the north. Here DeWolf was host to President Andrew Jackson,
whose portrait hangs on the wall in the hall today. William DeWolfs
widow leased the house in 1856 to Captain William Wars, who added
a large rear addition and operated a hotel here until 1865. The
house was then put up for auction and purchased by Edward D. Colt,
of Hartford. Colt transferred the property to his sister-in-law
Theodora Goujaud DeWolf Colt, daughter of George DeWolf, who had
spent her early childhood here. Mrs. Colt removed Warss addition,
relaid the marble path to Hope Street, and planted the linden trees
for which Linden Place is named. Her sone, Samuel P. Colt, enlarged
the site and built the adjacent ballroom in 1905, which was designed
by Wallis E. Howe. Howes plan included relocation of the 2-story,
wood carriage house (c. 1850), construction of a 2-story, yellow
brick wall along Wardwell Street to define the northern property
line. Colt filled the garden with classical sculpture and two gazebos:
one a c. 1745 octagonal structure with copper ogee-curved roof and
the other a c. 1910 arcaded garden house. His song Russell married
actress Ethel Barrymore; during their occupancy six bathrooms, outfitted
with mirrored plate-glass walls and silver-tone fixtures, were installed
in the house. In 1986 the Friends of Linden Place, a non-profit
organization, was formed to acquire the site from Colts last
living grandchild and to restore and preserve this landmark for
public use. In 1988 the voters of Rhode Island approved a $1.5 million
bond issue to help purchase Linden Place and restore it for use
as a cultural and educational center.
Colt Memorial High School
Bristols most elaborate school building was given to the town
by Samuel Colt in memory of his mother Theodora. Designed by Cooper
& Bailey of Boston, this monumental, 2-story, cast-bronze window
bays. The symmetrical facade has a central tetrastyle Corinthian
portico with fluted columns and a pediment containing cherubs around
the Colt family crest. Marble, wood paneling and mouldings, and
Corinthian columns ornament the vestibule and auditorium. Original
plans called for a large museum building to be added to the east
and construction of a columned gateway with heroic statues at the
Hope Street entrance. Vandalism contributed to the abandonment of
this elaborate plan in favor of construction of the marble path
and terrace balustrade. Serving as an elementary school since 1966,
and maintained in part by a bequest from Colt, the school is used
by the town for special events and continues to be an important
element of Hope Streets historic streetscapes.
Rogers Free Library
After the death in 1870 of Robert Rogers, president of the Eagle
Bank, his widow Maria executed his wish to build a free public library.
Stephen C. Earle, of Earle & Fuller, Worcester, designed a 2-1/2-story,
Romanesque Revival building with a steep hip roof, crested turrets,
and hip-roofed dormers. This picturesque structure is built of random
ashlar masonry with tinted mortar. On the first floor, free space
was provided for the YMCA, which moved to 448-52 Hope Street in
1899. The upper half of the building was destroyed by fire in 1956.
Wallis E. Howe then completed a dramatic redesign, using a lower
hip roof and creating a 1-story facade. Surviving elements include
the 3-bay portico, massive columns, and curving iron hand rails.
The basement was remodeled as a childrens room in the 1970s.
Commercial Bank Building
1814, early 20th century
Bristols second bank was formed in 1809. By 1820 with assets
of $150,000, it was the largest of Bristols banking houses.
The bank occupied this 2-story, 3-bay, hip-roof Federal building
from 1814 to 1869. The Customs House moved here from 39 State Street
in 1845 and remained here until the completion of the new Post Office
and Customs House at 440 Hope Street in 1857. Later tenants included
the Bristol YMCA, which rented the upper floor from 1863 to 1877,
and the town clerk who had his office here in the 1870s. By 1903
the Providence Telephone Company had acquired the building for offices
and altered the first floor for a cigar and candy shop. During this
period the Bradford Street entrance was eliminated. Today this important
early 19th century building is further compromised by the addition
of an inappropriate storefront.
Andrews Memorial School
In 1932 Robert D. Andrews donated funds for the Andrews Memorial
School in memory of his father, Robert S. Andrews, former superintendent
of schools. Designed by George Maxwell Cady, this 2-1/2-story, T-plan,
brick and brownstone Georgian Revival structure has symmetrical
9-bay facade with a pedimented, projecting central pavilion. A central
hexagonal cupola crowns the cross-gable roof. In form, this building
recalls 18th-and early 19th century educational buildings such as
Browns University Hall.
Giles Luther-Charles Rockwell House
c. 1809, c. 1850, c. 1900
Parson Wight recorded that the elegant house of Giles Luther
was built in 1809. A 2-story, 5-bay, hip-roof Federal house, it
has been substantially enlarged. Original detailing on the facade
includes the Palladian window, modillion cornice, quoins, and wide-beaded
window castings with splayed lintels. Luther (1775-1841), a shipmaster,
merchant, and farmer, was first Grand Marshall of the Bristol Fourth
of July Parade. In 1825 Luthers business failed; the Commercial
Bank took this house and sold it in 1828 to Jacob Babbitt. Babbitt
owned part of Long Wharf and in his will of 1849, he left the use
and improvement of this house to his son Jacob, Jr. (1809-1862).
The younger Babbitt probably added the rear ell and the Italianate
triple-arched door and full-width porch with delicate cut-out posts
and railings. Jacob, Jr., also assumed his fathers roles at
the Commercial Bank and the textile mills. He died at Fredericksburg
in 1862. In 1897 Charles Rockwell of the Cranston Worsted Mills
purchased this house. He added the sunporch and fieldstone fireplace
at the rear. The property was donated by his daughter June Levy
to the Bristol Nursing Association in 1915. In 1973 it returned
to private ownership and restoration began in 1984.
Francis M. Dimond House
c. 1838, c. 1970s
One of Hope Streets two remaining Greek Revival temple-form
houses, this one was designed by Russell Warren for Dimond (1796-1858).
One of the first Greek Revival houses in the state, it is a 2-story,
end-gable-roofed building with a full-height tetrastyle portico
of fluted Ionic columns. The entrance repeats the Ionic motif. A
polygonal Gothic bay with lancet windows and applied quatrefoils
projects from the dining room on the southwest corner. Interior
Greek detailing, including marble fireplaces in the double parlor,
in intact. One year after the houses construction, Dimond,
who had served as Vice-Consul at Havana and later Consul to Joseph
L. Gardner, merchant and owner of Gardners Wharf on Thames
Charles Collins, Jr., House
Parson Wights diary described the construction of this large
brick house in 1805. This 2-story, 5-bay, hip-roof, Federal
house with paired interior chimneys has a shallow hip roof and displays
stone quoins. It was set back approximately 50 feet from the street
line, an unusual siting for this period. Collins was James DeWolfs
brother-in-law and through his influence was appointed Second Collector
of Customs in 1804. In 1817 Collins became first president of Freemans
Bank. Jacob Babbitt, Sr., a merchant, shipowner, stockholder and
president of the Pokanoket Mill and the Commercial Bank, purchased
this house in 1833. After his death in 1850, his widow, Abby E.
Babbitt, owned both this house and the one just south at 610 Hope
Street. A wooden rear wing was added by 1870, and by 1903, a full-width
Colonial Revival porch existed; it was removed in the early 1980s
to reveal the original pilastered entrance with an arched fanlight.
Second Martin Bennett House
This is a sophisticated 2-story, 3-bay, flat-roof, Italianate dwelling.
The facade has a narrow, recessed center bay containing a round-head
entrance, a form repeated in the arched entrance to the console-supported
balcony above. The flush-board siding simulating stone and the brackets
under the projecting cornice and balcony are typical Italianate
details. A strong similarity exists to 117 State Street. Martin
Bennett was cashier of the First National Bank of Bristol and later
treasurer of the Bristol Institution for Savings. His first house
was at 93 Bradford Street.
Josiah Talbot House
Designed by Russell Warren, this 2-story, 3-bay, gable-roof Greek
Revival house is one of the finest in the state. Its facade has
a pair of fluted Corinthian columns, set in antis, a contrast to
the full tetrastyle portico of the Dimond House at 617 Hope Street.
A simple side-hall entrance is framed by heavy Doric pilasters,
supporting a broad, plain entablature. The walls are sheathed with
horizontal flush boarding and clapboards. A rear ell wan added in
the mid-1850s. The original interior is virtually intact. Talbot
was part-owner of a schooner, and owner and master of two brigs.
Stephen Wardwell House
This 2-story, 5-bay Federal house, built on the site of the Wardwell
Tavern, is unusually well preserved. The facade centers on an elliptical-arched
entrance with a delicate fanlight and sidelights, framed by engaged
Doric columns. The double-hung 12-over-12 and 12-over-8 windows
have heavy plank casings trimmed with splayed lintels. Stephen Wardwells
heirs sold the house in 1821 to Nicholas Peck, a merchant and shipowner.
The house was then sold to the Paull family in 1902, who still retain
ownership. Additions include the rear northwest ell and enclosed
c. 1840, 1893
The original 2-1/2-story, 3-bay, end-gable-roof Greek Revival form
of this dwelling was strongly influenced by Russell Warrens
designs. In 1850 the house was purchased by Moses Wood, superintendent
of the Namquit Mill, from the estate of Benjamin Gardner. It was
extensively altered on Orin Bosworth, who purchased it in 1893.
Additions include a 2-1/2-story, octagonal tower on the southwest
corner; a full-width bracketed porch; and a 1-story wing on the
north. The original Greek Revival entrance, with a wide entablature
supported by rusticated pilasters, remains within the porch. Bosworth,
descendant of one of th towns first settlers, was an attorney
with an office on Bradford Street. From 1897 to 1911 he was a judge
of the Fifth District Court.
Jeremiah Wilson House
c. before 1751, c. 1835
The first house on this lot was built c. 1709 for Samuel Woodbury,
town surveyor. In 1750 his son Jonathan Woodbury split the lot an
dsold the eastern quarter-acre, fronting on Hope Street, to housewright
John Peckham. Within five months, Peckham built this 2 _-story,
4-bay, gable-roof Colonial house with a center chimney for Jeremiah
Wilson. It has a fine pedimented entrance with pierced fanlight
and geometric-patterned surround. By 1817 Wilsons heirs sold
the house to Henry Wight, Jr., a merchant. Deacon Daniel Perry,
of Fairhaven, Massachusetts, became owner in 1832 and by 1835 his
daughters Eliza Bartlett Perry and Mary Laurence Nye inherited the
house. The large rear ell may date from this period. In 1866 it
passed to Gideon Gifford, remained in family ownership until 1922,
and is now a 2-family home.
Charles Greene House
A 2 _- story, bracketed, end-gable-roof building with a 2-bay facade
including a side-hall entrance under a bracketed hood with a balustrade,
flanked by a 2-story, semi-octagonal bay. A 1-story porch is on
the south. Greene (1822-1899) purchased the Bristol Phoenix in 1862
and remained its editor and published for thirty-one years. Active
in public and civic affairs, he was first president of the Rhode
Island Press Associations, clerk of the Supreme and Common Pleas
Courts of Bristol County from 1865 to 1868, a member of the General
Assembly in 1873 and 1874, sheriff of Bristol County from 1875 to
1877, and a town council member from 1879 to 1881.
Dr. Chillingsworth Foster House
c. 1780, 1810, c. 1921
This 2-story, 5-bay, hip-roof Federal house was begun for Foster,
ships surgeon on the Hiram, which was lost in the West Indies
during the War of 1812. The facade has a central Doric portico and
a flat-head entrance with paneled pilasters and rope-design cornice,
flanked by triple-hung, 6-over 6- over 6 facade windows. The house
was moved back from the street line in 1810. A hip-roofed porch
on the south side was added in the 1920s.
Durfee T. Bradford House
This large, 2-1/2 story, 3-bay, l-shaped, cross-gable-roof house
was built by Bradford, a shipmaster and commercial fisherman. Henry
Goff of the Phenix Sugar Refining Company purchased it in 1857.
This transitional Greek Revival/Italianate house reflects changes
in taste and style occurring just before the Civil War. The handsome
facade has a recessed Greek Revival entrance, with Ionic pilasters
and modillion cornice and ornamental brackets trimming the windows
and the eaves. A triparite, round-head window unit, a popular mid-19th-century
feature, appears in the center of the pedimented front gable.
Leonard J. Bradford House
This 2-1/2-story, 5-bay Federal house with interior end chimneys
was the home of Bradford (1780-1812), a shipmaster and owner, in
the early 19th century. This house retains fine interior woodwork.
The entrance has a heavy cushion molding, a Greek frieze, and fluted
pilasters with rope moldings. A 2-1/2-story, gambrel-roof ell had
been added at the rear by 1798. Bradfords letters from Cuba
to fiancee Sally Turner, written aboard a slaver in 1800, and their
portraits by Cephus Thompson are in the collections of the Bristol
Historical and Preservation Societys museum.
John Phillips-Isaac Manchester House
A 2-story, 4-bay, gambrel-roof, center-chimney Colonial house with
a deep projecting front cornice; the 2-story rear ell has a brick
end wall. John Phillips, a cooper, built the house an dsold it to
merchant Thomas Church in 1751. Isaac Manchester (1768-1869) of
Little Compton bought it in 1792, when he bacame a ship master for
John and William DeWolf. In 1798 Manchester bought his own sloop.
Forced into bankruptcy, he spent his final years as a clam peddler.
In 1838 merchants Crawford Easterbrooks and Henry Manchester bought
the house for 2-family use.
Caleb Littlefield House
This 2-1/2-story, 5-bay, flank gable-roof house was built for Littlefield
(1775-1810) after his marriage to Hannah M. Bosworth. The pedimented
entrance (now filled in) has fluted Ionic pilasters, typical of
the fine Federal craftsmanship of Bristol. Parson Wight recorded
that Littlefield also built a barn and two stables on Thames Street
in 1804. Littlefield died at sea in 1810 and his son George, a shipmaster,
inherited this house.
Parker Borden House
In 1798 shipmaster Borden began this dwelling near his Thames Street
wharf. This 2-1/2-story, 5-bay house with two interior chimneys
is a fine example of Federal construction. The elaborate pedimented
entrance, wtih a semi-circular fanlight, engaged Ionic columns,
and imaginative carving in the door and fanlight frames, and the
unusual second-story Palladian window with carved garland trim are
fine examples of the skill of Bristol craftsmen. Superb interior
woodwork with rope molding survives in the northwest parlor.
Guiteras Memorial Building/Guiteras Junior High School
Dr. Ramon Guiteras of New York left funds upon his death in 1919
to build a school in honor of his mother. His will stipulated that
the structure replicate the Mudge House (1808), built for Mark Antony
DeWolf by Russell Warren and burned in 1919, and that the building
be white in color. Designed by Wallis E. Howe, this large flat-roofed
building of pale buff brick and Indiana limestone has a 9-bay central
pavilion flanked by 8-bay angled wings. This imposing structure
is a Bristol landmark clearly visible from the harbor.
Bosworth House/Silver Creek
1683 et seq.
Known as the oldest house in Bristol, this structure was started
by Deacon Nathaniel Bosworth, one of the original town incorporators,
who named it for a Silver Creek that ran through the Bosworth family
property in England. Silver Creek originated as a 1-room-deep, 2-story
building with a massive stone chimneyas specified in the Grand
Articles. Today, the building is a 2-story, 5-bay, hip-roof
house with a 2-1/2-story, gable-roof wing on the northeast. Deacon
Bosworth conducted Bristols first religious services here
before the Congregational Meetinghouse on the Common was built in
1684. Ruth Bosworth, Nathaniels great-granddaughter, married
Shearjashub Bourn, a tavern keeper, in 1749. Their grandson Benjamin
Bourn, an attorney, was Quartermaster General of the Second Rhode
Island Regiment in 1776, a member of the General Assembly, a U.S.
Congressman from 1790 to 1796, and a U.S. District Judge from 1801
until his death in 1808. In 1836 Julia Jones, Bourns granddaughter,
married James Perry. The Perry family owned Silver Creek until 1957.
In the mid-1960's, the land was subdivided and a gas station and
convenience store constructed to the south; the noted gardens to
the north and east have disappeared. Silver Creek, now divided into
apartments and bereft of its setting, is still an important architectural
and historical landmark.
Joseph Reed House
1808, c. 1842, c. 1881
In 1808 Reed began construction of this 2-1/2-story, 4-bay Federal
farmhouse with a hip roof topped by a gable monitor. The Reed family
sold the property to Thomas Church in 1842. The large, 2-story,
gable-roof ell on the west probable dates from this time. By 1852
Hezekiah Church Wardwell had purchased the house. About 1881 Samuel
Drury Wardwell added the heavy, flat-head hood and overscale, scroll-design
brackets that now obscure the original Federal entrance; he also
made extensive interior changes.
George Martin House
c. 1855, c. 1970
1840, c. 1855, c. 1970
James Freeborns journal notes that he built this 2-story,
4-bay, hip-roofed Federal house for George Martin in 1840. Its facade
has a 3-bay Ionic front porch. Originally the house had a Chippendale
balustrade on both the main roof and front porch, similar to the
ones on Linden Place. By 1843 Martin, an onion farmer, put his house
up for sale, and in 1849 he sailed to San Francisco to seek his
fortune in the gold fields. Interior renovations and the addition
of 2-story Italianate bay windows on the south side date from the
1850s. The original hip-roof carriage house, overlooking Mill Pond,
is now converted into apartments.
Seth Paull House
Paull, a lumber merchant whose warehouse and business were located
at the foot of State Street, began construction of this house in
1879. This elaborate 2-1/2-story, hip-roofed, Second Empire dwelling
has a 3-bay facade with a projecting central pavilion capped by
an ogee gable roof. A 2-story tower on the southwest corner, topped
by a turret with a copper finial, has elaborate brackets, diamond
panels in wood, and a saw-tooth frieze. The entrance portico has
clustered, square, chamfered columns; above it is a round-head Victorian
version of a Palladian window. There was originally a sweeping driveway
to the south. The corn crib at the rear was moved to 870 Hope Street
in 1936 by Gladys Paull for use as an antique shop and is now enlarged
for a residence. The original horse barn stands at 11 Hillside Road.
George H. Reynolds House
This 2-1/2-story, 3-bay, end-gable-roof Greek Revival house has
been dated by the discovery of 1838 newspapers used to fill the
wall cavaties. Extant Greek Revival details include corner pilasters
and a flathead entrance with 4-pane sidelights and transom, partially
obscured by addition of a delicate portico. Original window casings
were recently removed to accommodate vinyl siding. Reynolds was
involved in a number of ventures. In 1836 he was a blacksmith in
partnership with J.N. Miller; by 1837 he sold shoes and groceries.
In 1840 he was appointed postmaster.
William Reynolds-Nicholas Peck House
Parson Wight recorded that William Reynolds began this 2-1/2-story,
4-bay, gable-roof house in 1808. William began acquiring land from
his father Joseph Reynolds in 1805 and enlarged the lot in 1814
to four acres. In 1823 the house was sold to merchant Benjamin Norris,
who in turn sold it to Peleg G. Jones, captain of the brig George.
Colonel Nicholas Peck bought the house from widow Fanny Jones and
her sister Elizabeth Diman in 1833. Peck was a merchant in the West
India trade and owner of Pecks Wharf at the north end of Thames
Street. His youngest son Viets Griswold Peck (1814-1906), a real
estate and dry goods dealer, acquired the house in 1870.
Joseph Reynolds House
1698-1700 et seq.
Family records show that this unique early transitional Massachusetts-plan
house was built in 1698-1700 by Joseph Reynolds (1677-1759) on the
ten-acre lot that his father Nathaniel Reynolds, a leather worker
from Boston, purchased in 1684. In 1708 Nathaniel willed the ten-acre
lot with its tannery to Joseph and how own dwelling house in town
to three daughters. Joseph Reynoldss house is unusually large
for the period, rising three stories plus a garret, and may possibly
once have had a cupola. Originally the house had a two-room, center-hall
plan with chimneys built into the rear wall, as found in a number
of early Massachusetts buildings. This plan was expanded in the
late 18th century to make a four-room plan. The modified saltbox
roof slopes from its full height on the west to a height of less
than two stories at the rear. The main 5-bay facade has a rare plaster
cove cornice following late 17th-century English precedents, one
of two remaining examples in Rhode Island. A very early, 2-story,
gable-roof ell, which may predate the main section and probably
was only one-and-one-half stories high originally, extends on the
east side. The house was remodeled about 1790: the ell was extended
about six feet, its roof raised, and a side entrance and staircase
added. The present pedimented front entrance facing Hope Street
was installed, possibly replacing a wider double door. About 1820,
during a second remodelling, interior changes were made and a Greek
Revival door frame was added to the side entrance.
The interior structure is clearly visible, with corner posts, plates,
girts, and summer beams encased. In the major rooms, this casing
was marbleized, a treatment which survived untouched until the 1940s,
when it was painted white. Two rooms, the northwest parlor and the
Lafayette bedchamber above, display rare heavy bolection-molded
paneling, ranking among the most important examples of this finish
in colonial America. The parlor paneling, damaged by fire in 1976,
has been replicated. The bedchamber, which survived the fire nearly
intact, has its original color scheme of red and yellow panels with
light brown, dark red, and brown moldings, and lighter brown and
yellow stiles. Much of the trim, including door casings, two-panel
doors, and hardware, is original. The main staircase, with heavy
torus-molded closed strings and newel posts with ball finials and
acorn pendants, clearly reveals its early date and is comparable
to the one in the Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House in Newport.
The Marquis de Lafayette used this house as his headquarters in
1778. Prominent family members include Joseph Reynolds III (1748-1818),
chief justice of the Court of Common Pleas; Samuel Godfrey Reynolds
(1801-1881), an inventor; and John Post Reynolds (1850-1915), a
probate judge and superintendent of Bristols schools for over
thirty years. The house, called Willowmere in some records,
remained in the Reynolds family until 1930. In 1982 the Reynolds
House was designated a National Historic Landmark. This extraordinary
early house is the most important and best preserved early transitional
house in Rhode Island or Massachusetts.
Levi Dewolf House
before 1771, 1798
Mark Antony DeWolf, the first of his family in Bristol, fled to
Warren after the British burned Bristol in 1778. He returned in
1786 and purchased from Benjamin and Abigail Bosworth this farmhouse,
which they had bought from Benjamin Reynolds heirs in 1771.
After Mark Antonys death, Levi DeWolf sold his house at 400
Hope Street and moved here. Between 1795 and 1801, Levi purchased
his siblings rights to the house. This 2-story, 5-bay dwelling
is notable for its elaborate pedimented entrance with a modillion
and dentil cornice over a cushion molding. Housewright Simeion Pierces
accounts for 1798 note that he finished the house of John DeWolf
in the same manner as Captain Levi Dewolfs house is
done, suggesting that Levi had this entrance added to the
earlier Reynolds farmhouse. Original heavy pegged window frames,
with splayed lintels and 16-over-16 sash, survive. The large center
chimney has been rebuilt and reduced in height.
Samuel Norris House
c. 1750 et. seq.
A 1-1/2-story, 6-bay, gambrel-roof Colonial farmhouse with many
original exterior and interior details. In 1755 after Norriss
death, his son John, a housewright, obtained this property and probably
widened the original 5-room plan. In the 1850's it was owned by
Captain Benjamin Norris, whose wharf stood between Franklin and
Benjamin Church Home For The Aged/Benjamin Church Senior Center
This 2-1/2-story, 5-bay, hip-roof Colonial Revival building was
designed by Clarke, Howe & Homer, with Samuel W. Church. It
is an outstanding example of the Colonial Revival style by a major
architectural firm. It has a 1-story, full-width porch on the facade
with Doric columns. The home was designed to provide pleasant housing
in a rural environment for aged mend and later for aged women too.
It was opened in May 1908 and continued to operate until 1966. The
trustees of the home then granted the land and building to the Bristol
Housing Authority to construct new housing for the elderly on the
rear of the 11.5-acre site. Since 1972 the house has been renovated
in four stages into a senior citizen center, with support from National
Park Service grants. During this work, the original yellow and white
exterior color scheme, confirmed by paint scrapings and old views,
William B. Gray House
A 2-1/2-story, 5-bay farmhouse with a center chimney. It has a pedimented
entrance with fluted pilasters and a transom, splayed lintels, 12-over-8
sash, and 16-over-16 sash in the 1-story rear ell. In the 1870s
Gray, a Thames Street produce dealer, owned this house. He probably
constructed number 1021, a small 1-1/2-story, end-gable-roof structure,
as a farm outbuilding. It is now a residence.
George Peckham Cottage
A 1-1/2-story, 5-bay Greek Revival cottage which retains typical
exterior detailing. The 19th-century barn, in the rear of the lot,
is largely intact. Peckham was a farmer.
Jonathan Reynolds House
A typical 2-story, 4-bay, center-chimney Federal farmhouse on the
exterior, this house on a corner lot has a 4-room floor plan, including
an angled fireplace. Detailing includes original heavy pegged window
casings and narrow clapboards. Built by Jonathan Reynolds (1763-1845),
a mariner, the house was owned in the mid-1850's by Samuel White,
a dealer in beef, butter, and milk.
Civil War Monument, Rhode Island Historical Cemetery
A monumental column of the Composite order surmounted by a statue
of a Union solder holding Old Glory and a sword. Erected by the
State of Rhode Island, the monument stands amid the graves of Civil
Middle District School/Taft School
In 1802, a small brick school (formerly near Gooding Avenue) was
built to serve families on Bristol Neck. It was replaced by this
larger 2-story, Greek Revival school with a flank-gable roof and
a square, bracketed, hip-roof belfry. Originally sited across Hope
Street on part of the town asylum, the school house was moved by
Samuel Colt in 1913 to permit construction of the Colt Farm Bull
Gates. It was renamed Taft School in honor of Putnam W. Taft, a
former schoolmaster (1853-63 and 1885-95) and remained in use until
1959. The building is now headquarters for Italian-American organizations.
Defiance Hose Company No. 2
Organized in 1905 to protect the North District, this company originally
was housed in Defiance Hall on the first floor of the Taft School,
north of the entrance to Colt State Park. In 1913 the Defiance Hose
Company was incorporated and in 1926 acquired its first mechanized
apparatus, a pumpter known as Ol Puff. The present
2-story, flat-roofed brick building with a paneled parapet, built
in 1928, has a large addition on the north side built in 1977.
Longfield/Abby Dewolf and Charles Dana Gibson House
Longfield was built between 1848 and 1850 for Charles Dana Gibson,
granfather of the artist of the same name who created the Gibson
girl. Its name derives from the 60-acre meadow, part of the 300-acre
Henry DeWolf farm, given to Abby DeWolf when she married Charles
Gibson. The design of the house is attributed to Russell Warren.
A symmetrical, 2-1/2-story, 3-bay house with a steep gabled roof,
Longfield is an example of the Gothic Revival style, popular for
suburban cottages like this. Exterior detailing includes the two
Gothic casement windows above the front entrance, label moldings
over all doors and windows, and pinnacles at the gable peaks. The
interior, which exhibits a mix of stylistic detail including Greek
Revival, Gothic, and early Italianate designs, has a traditional
4-room, rectangular floor plan with a long center hall. Changes
to Longfield have been minor: about 1907, the front porch was rebuilt,
and the side porch was enlarged. The original color scheme was a
bright red with darker red trim. Josephine Gibson Knowlton recorded
the history of the house and its era in two books, Longfield (1956)
and Butterballs and Finger Bowls (1960). The acreage is now diminished
and outbuildings moved, altered, or destroyed. Dependencies of Longfield
are at 1195 and 1222 Hope Street.
c. 1850, moved 1881
This 2-story, 3-bay cottage was built as a modest gable-roof building
with board-and-batten wall cover for the caretaker of Longfield.
In 1882 Henry Maitland Gibson moved it to this site. The double
front and rear gables, clapboards and strapwork were probably added
at this time. A former milk house from Longfield was also moved
and joined to the cottage as a kitchen ell.
William Cheshire House
This 2-story, hip-roof house was ordered from a Sears, Roebuck &
Company catalogue and the prefabricated parts arrived by railroad.
It is the Americus model of the Honorbilt Modern Homes
Company. Originally designed in 1920, this California bungalow-inspired
dwelling ws painted yellow with dark-brown trim. This house was
one of the first in Bristol to use gypsum board instead of traditional
lath and plaster for interior walls.
Postwar population growth had made the North Districts Taft
School inadequate by 1950. Charles B. Rockwell, Jr., son of the
founder of the Cranston Worsted Mills and assistant treasurer of
the corporation, gave the funds for a new, 3-classroom school. Architects
George Maxwell Cady and Wallis E. Howe collaborated on this symmetrical,
1-story, 11-bay, gable-roofed, red brick Georgian Revival structure.
The copper roof cupola contains the bell from the Taft School, which
closed in 1959.
Jonathan Peck, Jr.-Samuel Martin Farmhouse
before 1721, c. 1840, rehabilitated 1973
This farmhouse was begun on part of the 600-acre Jonathan Peck Farm,
stretching west to Narragansett Bay from Hope Street. In 1778 British
and Hessian troops landed on its shore enroute to raid Warren and
Bristol. The farm was acquired and the house was enlarged by Samuel
Martin in 1835; it remained in the Martin family ownership for over
one hundred years. There are two distinct sections: a 1-1/2-story,
3-bay, gambrel-roofed Colonial half on the east, and a 4-bay, Greek
Revival section on the west. Original exterior detailing includes
a simple entrance with a 5-pane transom light and heavy pegged window
casings topped with splayed lintels. The shutters and weathered
shingles are 20th-century additions.
James and William Usher House/Old Orchard Farm
1845 et seq.
A 1-1/2-story, 3-bay, end-gable-roof Greek Revival house clad with
narrow clapboards. Detailing includes a trabeated entrance flanked
by full-length side lights, elongated compound front windows with
blinds, and a small triple window in the front gable. Outbuildings
include a 1-1/2-story milk house (c. 1920) to the east which was
converted into an apartment in 1972; a second milk house (c. 1960);
two long gable-roof henhouses; and two 2-stall garages. In 1838
William Usher bought the first farmhouse on this land, which was
demolished upon completion of this house in 1845, according to a
date marked in the attic. The farm once extended west to Narragansett
Bay, but is now reduced in size.
Peck House/Parrott Gables
c. 1870, 1900
1765, c. 1870, c. 1900
The core of this large dwelling is a 2-1/2-story, 4-bay, hip-roof,
center-chimney Colonial farmhouse, now obscured by later additions.
Horace Peck owned the property from the 1850s until the turn of
the century. Additions from this era included the 2-1/2-story, mansard-roof
ell on the northeast, a 1-1/2-story, shed-roofed wing on the north
side, and numerous dormers. By 1903 the property had passed to Robert
Turner, who extended the original gable roof in front, creating
a full-width front porch; further changes include additional dormers
at both the second and third floor levels. As modified, the house
seems a large overscale bungalow. During Prohibition the house became
a nightclub known as Parrott Gables. The barrel-vault-roof garage
with cupola was built by the Herreshoff Boat Company in 1885 and
moved here from John Herreshoffs home at 64 High Street.
Josephine Gibson Knowlton House
Henry M. Gibsons heirs platted his land as Bristol Highlands
between 1905 and 1908. This 3-bay bungalow with a jerkin-head roof
and Colonial Revival detailing was built by this daughter, Josephine
Gibson Knowlton. The central portico has an ogee-curved tin roof
and clustered columns, sheltering a segmental-arched entrance framed
by a blind wooden fan and leaded glass sidelights.
Ferncliffe/James L. Tobin House
c. 1750, 1882
One of the most distinctive houses in Bristol, Ferncliffe has evolved
from a simple Colonial farmhouse. By 1749 the 200-acre farm of Benjamin
Church, containing this land, was divided among four daughters.
Thomas Peck, a farmer, purchased this share in 1761; his deed refers
to a house already on the property. In 1882 James L. Tobin, an undertaker,
bought the property, which then extended west to Narragansett Bay.
Tobins daughter Mary named the house for the plants lining
the waterside cliffs. The house has a 4-bay Colonia core; mid-Victorian
additions include an overscale 3-story, pyramidal-roof tower on
the southeast corner and a full-width front porch with strapwork.
A large ell on the west was demolished in 1931. The interior has
been extensively modernized, and the surrounding acreage has been
developed with single-family houses.
George Coggeshall House
This 2-1/2-story, 5-bay, center-chimney Federal farmhouses with
a central pedimented entrance is a good example of the dwellings
built by farmers along Hope Street during the twenty years after
the Revolution. Carefully restored in the late 1970s, the house
retains much of its original interior and exterior detail. From
1813 to 1832, Nathaniel Bullock, later Lieutenant Governor of Rhode
Island, owned this farm. The Coggeshall House now sits on a small
lot, its farmlands the site of new construction.
Throope Place/Isaiah Simmons Farm
c. 1687. 1850
c. 1687, 1760, c.1850
In 1687, William Throope (1637-1704), who migrated to Bristol from
Barnstable, Massachusetts, purchased this land. The original 1-room,
2-story house, with exposed framing, gunstock posts, and chamfered
summer beams, stood approximately 50 feet north of its present location.
Throopes grandson, Thomas, Jr., enlarged the house about 1760.
A new 2-story, 4-bay, gable-roofed house was constructed, facing
Hope Street, and the old house was moved and added to the rear.
Windows on the front section with heavy casings, molded lintels,
and 6-over-6 sash; windows on the older section with wide, flat
casings and 12-over-8 sash; and a 1771 will which mentions two kitchens
are clues to this merger. The farm passed to Isaiah Simmons, a dairy
farmer, in 1830, and remained in the Simmons family until 1922.
The ell on the back of the original section dates from the late
19th century. Reuse of the barns for apartments dates from the late
North Farm and Arboretum
mid-19th century et. seq.
Now the site of modern development, North Farm is notable today
primarily for its historic landscape. In 1832 Benjamin Hall (1752-1812),
a State Street merchant, purchased a tract encompassing this property.
His son George Rogers Hall (1821-1899) served as a physician in
China before giving up medicine to become an exporter of oriental
objects dart. Dr. Hall subsequently moved to Japan and in
1861 began to ship unusual oriental plants to the United States.
After his return to Bristol in 1862, the aboretum at North Farm
was established as a result of his interest in horticulture. Hall
is credited with introducing many exotic species to America, including
zelkova (Japanese elm) and Japanese dwarf yew, examples of which
can be found here. This property came to be called North Farm after
a son-in-law, James M. Howe, purchased the northern part of Dr.
Halls estate in 1897. By 1902 Howard L. Clark, a Providence
banker, had purchased North Farm. Clark hired Charles A. Platt,
the noted architect and landscape designer, to build a handsome
Neo-Classical house and a magnificent Italian garden. In later years
the estate was operated as a gentlemans farm owned successively
by William B. MacColl, president of the Lorraine Mills in Pawtucket,
and William S. Cherry, of the Cherry & Webb specialty store
chain. North Famr was sold in 1953 to the Framingham Motor Inn Corporation,
and Platts house for Clark was demolished in the 1960s. The
Rhode Island Land Company purchased North Farm in 1973 and began
construction of condominiums. In addition to Dr. Halls arboretum
(c. 1862 et. seq.) And remnants of Platts garden for Howard
Clark (c. 1902), surviving elements from earlier phases of development
include a Gothic Revival outbuilding (c. 1855) erected during Benjamin
Halls tenure, now used as a pool cabana; a library (c. 1904)
built for Howard Clark; and some early 20th-century stables and
Herreshoff Manufacturing Company Houses
John Herreshoff, president of the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company,
built these houses and his workers. They were sold to individual
owners in 1987. Numbers 2 and 4 are 3-bay, end-gable-roof cottages
with full-width front porches that have square, chamfered posts
and low, turned balustrades. Numbers 3 and 7 are large 2-1/2-story,
end-gable-roof, multiple-family dwellings with bay windows and hooded
entrances. Number 5 is an end-gable-roof cottage with a recessed
corner porch and a prominent front bay window. Numbers 2, 4, 5 and
7 retain original picket fences, a common feature of late 19th century
dwellings. These modest houses are well preserved examples of typical
First Jonathan Russell Bullock House
1838, moved c. 1900
This Greek Revival temple-form dwelling was designed by Russell
Warren for Bullock, who opened his law office with Joseph M. Blake
in 1834. It originally stood on Hope Street. In 1896 J. B. Herreshoff
bought its original site for construction of the Belvedere (now
Harriet Bradford) Hotel. The Bullock House was moved around the
corner to John Street, raised on a new foundation, and given a gambrel
1745, 1790, 1833
A 2-story, hip-roof Federal dwelling with a full monitor, bold quoins,
and modillion cornice on three sides. The core of the house dates
from c. 1745. Later Victorian additions includes bay windows (c.
1870), a large 2-story east ell (c. 1880), and a wraparound Colonial
Revival porch (c. 1900). Weetamoe Farm developed as part of Mount
Hope Farm, owned by Henry MacKintosh in the early 18th century.
His granddaughter Elizabeth Royall, wife of Isaac Royall, acquired
the south half of Mount Hope Farm in 1744 and began construction
of a house (see Mount Hope Farm). In 1776 the estate was confiscated
by the State to raise crops for colonial troops. After the Revolutions,
Deputy Governor William Bradford bought Mount Hope Farm and gave
this 33-acre part to his daughter Hannah Baylies. Hannah conveyed
her title to Weetamoe in 1811 to her cousin George DeWolf for $8,000;
her husband Gustavus retained the use of the farm. John DeWolf 2nd
lived here from 1828 to 1832, until he sold Weetamoe to attorney
John Howe in 1833. Howe added a Greek Revival Ionic porch and balustrade,
now removed. His son Mark Antony DeWolf Howe (1808 - 1895), rector
of St. Lukes Church in Philadelphia and later Bishop of Central
Pennsylvania, made extensive additions to the house to accommodate
his large family. The fields of Weetamoe, once used for cattle,
sheep, onions, and a tree nursery, are defined by beautiful capped
stone walls. Outbuildings include a summer house (c. 1795), once
the cupola of James DeWolfs Mount Hope Academy which stood
on Bristol Common; a milk house, a 1-story cross-gable-roof stone
structure, partially below grade, just south of the house; a caretakers
cottage/office, a cross-gable-roof bracketed cottage, at the crest
of the hill east of the house; and a playhouse (c.1910), a small
1-story shed-roof building, overlooking Churchs Cove. The
grounds of Weetamoe have been developed with condominiums.