Teaching > HP175 Documentation > Notes >
National Register and HABS/HAER/HALS Programs
Related assignment National Register and HABS/HAER/HALS Programs
Start with topic sentence describing scope of assignment, essay.
Sources: Cite specific subject, program (of similar, if needed) organization, and URL(Web address).
Do not describe that a Web site has about the subject or organization, rather describe the resources, and reference the Web.
Definitions (at beginning), citing published, 'peer-reviewed' source(s). Include statistics, as needed.
- Define 'documentaion"
- Define 'National Register", 1966
- Define HABS/HAER/HALS [which started in 1933, 1960s, 1990s, respectively)
- Define National Park Service
As with any subject, before addressing the 'how' (methods and product) address the 'why' and "what" questions.
Why were these programs created: impetus, legislation, greater context (see "who", below)?
What is their goal: specifics, greater context (see "who", below).
Then addreess "who":
- decides to survey [NPS, ACHP, NHPS 106 mitigation; interpretation; planning]
- conducts survey [NPS team; student interns, contractors (preservation consultants)
- uses the survey [NPS, ACHP, SHPO, Owners, consultants}.
Then "how" is the survey conducted (with different levels)
- Additional information
Then illustrate with specific examples (surveys, nominations) to show quality (type) of work, and how it informs the why?, what?, and who? questions.