Teaching > RWU
HP202 Preservation Planning > Assignments
Mid-Term — Study Questions 2011
|Logan Circle, Washington, DC, 1985.
- Home rule
- Dillon's rule
- Enabling legislation
- Unfunded mandate
- Case law
- Fifth amendment (relative to its importance in planning)
- Fourteenth amendment (relative to its importance in planning)
- 1909 Plan of Chicago
- New York City 1916 Zoning Resolution
- Village of Euclid, Ohio v. Ambler Realty Co.
- Police power
- Euclidian zoning
- Planning (urban and regional)
- Standard State Zoning Enabling Act (SZEA) of 1926
- Standard City Planning Enabling Act (SCPEA) of 1928
- Greenbelt towns
- Housing Act of 1934
- Housing Act of 1949
- Housing Act of 1954
- Berman v Parker
- Brown v. Board of Education
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- US Department of Housing and Neighborhood Development (HUD)
- Urban renewal
- Jane Jacobs and The Death and Life of Great American Cities
- College Hill Plan, Providence
- National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 (NHPA) , as amended
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
- NHPA, Section 101 SHPO mandates
- NHPA, Section 106 review process
- Certified Local Government
- American Planning Association
- National Register
- Nonprofit organization
- Rehabilitation tax credits
- Antoinette Downing
- Preservation Planning
- Provide three (diverse, comlementary) examples that illustrate the shifting nature of 'federalism' through history.
Planning and Planning
- Define 'planning' as a (1) profession-independent process and as a (2) professional discipline.
Home and Dillon's Rule
- Discuss how 'Home Rule' and 'Dillon's Rule' affect planning and 'growth management'.
- What were the developments that led to passage fo the NHPA? Be specific, citing, at least, (1) two acts and (2) two examples of their effect.
- What is mandated to SHPOs in Section 101, NHPA?
- What are the following with reference to Section 106, NHPA, with examples of each?
- Consulting parties
- Adverse effect
Planning and Zoning
- Explain the relationship between 'comprehensive planning' and 'zoning' as defined in work starting in the 1920s to today.
- How has 'Euclidian zoning' affected land use in America? Reference at least two examples to inform your answer.
- What is 'comprehensive' about 'comprehensive
zoning?' Reference at least two sources (laws, etc.) to inform your answer.
- What is the relationship between 'police power' and 'zoning'? Cite at least two Supreme Court decisions to illustrate your answer.
- Define the principles and standards for 'preservation planning' as formalized by the National Park Service and discussed in class by Rick Greenwood