Teaching > RWU
HP202 Preservation Planning >
Reading (from HP 150 Introduction to Preservation Planning)
- Stipe, Robert. " A Richer Heritage", Chapter 2: The Federal Preservation Program
- Preservation Ethos and Fundamentals
— A Richer Heritage, Introduction and Chapter 1. google books (Review from week one of class.)
- Wallace, Michael. "Reflections on the History of Historic Preservation" in Presenting the Past: Essays on History and the Public. Benson, Susan Porter, et. al., eds. Philadelphia: Temple University Press. google books
Questions (from HP 150 Introduction to Preservation Planning)
- National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA)? NPS, USFWS, CT Trust What is its significance?
- What role does the National Park Service (NPS) play in historic preservation? NPS, Preservation
- What are HABS, HAER, HALS — all under the NPS Heritage Documentation Programs (HDP)? HDP
- What is the National Register of Historic Places (the "National Register', NR)? National Register of Historic Places Program; Fundamentals; FAQ: restrictions, rules, regulations.
- What is the Advisory Council of Historic Preservation (ACHP)? ACHP Who appoints the advsors and who do they report to? What are its statutory duties? What is its primary role?
- What is the State Historic Preservaton Office (SHPO)? What are their mandated responsibilities? NCSHPO, mandated responsibilites.
- What is Section 106 of the NHPA? ACHP, SC
SHPO, Section 106 Regulations Flow Chart at ACHP. Consider the following:
- 'consulting parties' "potentially affected historic properties'
- assessing and resolving 'adverse effects'
- 'memorandum of agreement (MOA)
- What is the National Register of Historic Places (NR)? National Register of Historic Places Program
- What are the benefits of having a propertly listed in the National Register? Fundamentals; FAQ: restrictions, rules, regulations.
- What is the Department of Transportation (DOT) Act of 1966, section 4(f) NTHP, US
- What is Executive Order 11593? Explanation with case law at ACHP, order at HUD, Executive Order at Wikipedia.
- What is the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969, as amended EPA, USFWS. Ho wis it different from the NHPA?
- What is the National Trust for Historic Preservation? NTHP
Antiquites Act of 1906
Organic Act of 1916
Historic Sites Act of 1935
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), US EPA
The National Historic Preservation
Act of 1966, as amended (2000)
Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
State Historic Preservation Offices
Heritage Documentation Programs
Certified Local Governments
- CLG re NHPA (as amended in 1981),
Historic Preservation Tax Incentives Program