Teaching > HP
442 Professional Practice > Schedule / Assignments
|Friends of Linden Place, Bristol, RI
1 Introduction (January 24)
Assignment 1 (due January 31)
Assignment 2 (due January 31)
- Revise your résumé.
- Find a job description of a job you wish to apply for (identify
where you located the job posting). Or: Prepare a job description
for a position you wish to apply for in a particular firm, company,
agency or institution. Be specific with respect to the distinct
nature of its position and its relation to the organization
- Investigate the organization/company so you understand how
the job fits in with the rest of the organization, its programs
adn services, scope of work, products & services.
- Write a one-page letter respondign to the job announcement
as stating that you are interest in the position. Explain how
you are quatified.
- Include a typed envelope to the contact person. Write in the
upper right "DO NOT MAIL".
1 Résumé and Cover Letter (January
3 Time Management (February 14)
Developing daily and long-term time management skills; planning
your personal goals; prioritizing your activities; organizing
your recordkeeping; meetings.
4 The Interview Process / Your Personal Resources
How to use interviews for "informational " purposes; the employment
Assignment 4 (due April 4)
Set up an informational interview with a professional in the
- Research possible professionals with which you might have
an interview, review options and select an individual.
- Undertake a biographical research of the individual and research
the organization with which she/he works.
- Schedule a meeting and confirm in writing.
- Submit an agenda with your confirmation letter.
- Make notes during/after the interview and include a "postmortem"
assessment. Follow up with
- A thank-you letter.
5 Portfolio 1 (March 7)
- Developing your portfolio.
- Revising work for your portfolio.
- Presentation techniques.
Assignment 6 (due March 21)
- Develop a draft outline for your portfolio.
- Revise one, or more, work samples for inclusion.
Assignment 7 (due March 21)
- Present outline of porfolio samples.
- Present revised work samples for inclusion.
6 Personal Preservation Resources (March 21)
- Discussion of Assignment 6.
- Knowing who to call for what
- How to build you own network
- How to develop your own library and resource files.
7 Business Development and Practices (April 4)
Insurance, legal, and accounting concerns; small business planning,
financing and management.
8 Portfolio 2 (April 25)
Presentation of Assignment 7
9 Hand in Assignments (May 9)
All course material due.