The essential ingredients for replacing and maintaining a historic
- Understanding the historic character of the building
and being sympathetic to it.
- Careful examination and recording of the existing roof
and any evidence of earlier roofs.
- Consideration of the historic craftsmanship and detailing
and implementing them in the renewal wherever visible.
- Supervision of the roofers or maintenance personnel to assure
preservation of historic fabric and proper understanding of
the scope and detailing of the project.
- Consideration of alternative materials where the original
cannot be used.
- Cyclical maintenance program to assure that the staff
understands how to take care of the roof and of the particular
trouble spots to safeguard.
With these points in mind, it will be possible to preserve the
architectural character and maintain the physical integrity of
the roofing on a historic building.