|A. Church. Jr. Wood Molding MAchine, No. 296, PAtented
July 29, 1837. (Ambrose Church, Jr. - Canandaigue,
NY) Source: DATAMP
In 1848 C. B. Rogers, of Norwich, Conn., commenced the manufacture
of wood working machinery and soon after associated himself
with J. A. Fay, who was located at Keene, N. H.
The first successful sticker was produced at Norwich. Other
wood working machines were added, and their business grew until
a third shop was opened at Worcester, under the management of
E. C. Tainter, who was then known as “Eph” among
the old wood workers. This shop was discontinued in 1858. Upon
the death of J. A. Fay. his stock and fixtures were removed
to Norwich. Tainter later became associated with L. Power &
Company, of Philadelphia, under the name of Power & Tainter.
The development of the Moulding Machine was continued by H.
B. Smith, of Lowell, Mass., early in the ‘60’s.
To Mr. Smith it is believed belongs the credit of introducing
iron frame machinery exclusively. He developed the dovetail
slides and gibs on the frame, which guide the bed as it is raised
or lowered, and compensates the wear.
Heavy moulding machines were introduced in 1870. The first
attempt to make such a machine is accredited to Fay & Fisher,
Lancaster, Mass. C. B. Rogers, S. A. Woods, Of Boston, and C.
R. Tompkins, of Rochester, N. Y., were the first to interest
themselves in heavy inside machines.
A Short History
of Woodworking Machinery, from the 1920 edition of the
William H. Field Company Field's Wood Working Machinery
Reference Book, Old Woodworking Machines